Ulcombe Parish Council
Report of the Parish Independent Remuneration Panel November 2011
The parish council has received recommendations from the parish independent remuneration panel in respect of allowances as follows:
1) Basic Allowance Parish councils can choose to pay a Basic Allowance of up to 15% of the Basic Allowance for Maidstone Borough Council which is currently £4,666: 15% of this is £700. This allowance should continue to be increased annually by the percentage cost of living increase awarded to members of staff.
2) Chairman’s Allowance Parish councils can choose to pay a Chairman’s Allowance of up to 15% of the Borough Council’s Basic Allowance (namely £700). This can be paid in addition to the Basic Allowance. This allowance should continue to be increased annually by the percentage cost of living increase awarded to members of staff.
3) Travel and Subsistence The car/van mileage allowance can be increased to 45p per mile with immediate effect. The other travel and subsistence rates remain unchanged from the 2007 level.
4) Withdrawal of Allowances Where a member is suspended or partially suspended, all or part of their allowance (including Travel and Subsistence allowances) should be withheld.
5) Forgoing Allowances A parish councillor may choose not to receive all or part of any allowance to which they would otherwise be entitled and should give written notice to the proper officer of the parish council.
Ulcombe Parish Council has agreed to adopt the parish independent remuneration panel recommendations for the Travel and Subsistence Allowance which increased the mileage rate to 45p per mile. The Chairman’s Allowance and the Basic Allowance were not adopted by the parish council.
A full copy of the parish remuneration panel report is available on the noticeboard outside Ulcombe CE Primary School or can be viewed on the parish council’s website by clicking on the link below.
The parish council is required to publicise the above information in a notice in a conspicuous place for at least 14 days. A copy can be viewed on the noticeboards adjacent to the bus shelter and Ulcombe CE Primary School as well as on the parish council website.
Parish Remuneration Panel Allowances Report 2011